Latest News

Andrew’s Edge Paul’s in a Rawson Classic

March 15, 2013

St Andrew’s took the honours at the commencement of the Inter-college sporting competition with a hard fought win against St Paul’s. An excellent preparation against an all-star Alumni team in a 20/20 match under the lights on the College oval last week focussed the minds of the Andrew’s men. Contributions from Robbie Deans, Rob Egerton, Marty Roebuck and an impressive collection of St Andrew’s legends worked the Rawson team very hard.

In the first round match the Andrew’s cricket team took on St Paul’s on Oval No.1, in a game that would turn out to be an absolute nail biter and typify everything that Rawson sport is about.

The Drewsmen elected to bat first, on a reasonably good wicket and the openers, Shaw and Patrick, did well to see off the swinging new ball and get the nerve-wracking first few overs of the Rawson campaign out of the way. After Shaw departed wickets fell at regular intervals but Andrew Patrick anchored the innings with a patient and well-played 48 runs. He was supported by Pryke in the middle of the innings, but it was the batting of Dorph, Turner and Buckling down the order that stacked on the runs in the last 10 overs to get St Andrew’s to a respectable score of 199 in their allotted 50 overs.

With the crowd growing after lunch, the Andrew’s boys took to the field to defend their total. The Drewsmen got off to a decent start, dismissing the Paul’s openers for not many. However, two long partnerships in the middle of the Paul’s innings really tested the stamina and determination of the Drew’s bowlers. During this period James Larkin had his thumb broken while attempting to catch a ball hit with great pace straight back at him off his own bowling. He had to leave the field only to return half an hour later with it strapped up and ready to continue the battle. This solid middle order batting display by the Paul’s boys really put them in a strong position to win the match. With 10 overs to go, Paul’s needed 45 runs with 5 wickets in hand and, with a batsman at the crease on 50, would no doubt have been the favourites to win. However, some excellent bowling under pressure by Eddie Turner and fResher Calum Buckling managed to keep Drew’s in the game. Turner took 3 wickets in his spell which stopped the flurry of runs and gave Drew’s a fighting chance of winning the game.

With 3 overs to go Paul’s needed 11 runs to win with 2 wickets in hand. The intensity of the game could be felt all around the ground. By this stage both colleges were very vocal on the sidelines and a reasonable crowd had gathered around No.1 to witness the final few overs and see what all the noise was about. The pressure out on the oval was immense. With 2 overs to go and 7 runs to win, fResher Dan Smith got handed the ball with the simple instruction of having to take the final two wickets if Andrew’s were to win the game. He really made a name for himself by dismissing the top order batsman on 75 to bring their final batsman to the crease. With the Drew’s fielders around the bat, the pressure on the Paul’s fResher would’ve been tough to handle. Smith continued to fire away at the blockhole until he eventually clean bowled him to take the last wicket and Drew’s won the match by a mere 5 runs. The elation amongst the Drew’s players and supporters was unforgettable, but Paul’s must be congratulated for making it one of the most closely contested games on the Rawson cricket field in a number of years. It was certainly a good way to kick off the 2013 Rawson campaign.


The Students’ Club flag is unfurled for the start of the Intercol Sporting Competition.

< Go back