Latest News

Latest Sighting of the Andrew’s Phantoms at the Bondi 10s

March 7, 2013

Phantoms 2013 Report

For the second year in a row the St Andrew’s College Phantoms entered the Bondi 10’s Rugby tournament, held at Rose Bay over a hot February weekend.  Following on from the success of pulling together old and current Drewsmen, the 2013 side was no different with current Drewsmen playing alongside ex Drewsmen 10 years their elder.

Day 1 saw a healthy turn out of players – old and new.   Lachy Williams had recruited well, and while MVP of last year’s tournament, Danny Farrell may have been in the coaching stands this year, he was aptly replaced by Ben “I just love rucking” Lawley.  The “Phantoms” were scheduled to play the opening game of the tournament on field one against the Gold Coast Bobs.  The first up 12-nil victory gave the Phantoms some confidence ahead of their other two games on day 1.  Nick Perry led the way in “big hit” category, saving two tries with his covering tackling.  A narrow one try loss against the Manly Raptors followed before the Phantoms came up against last year’s winners and tournament favourites, Tattersalls Club.  Tatts gave the Phantoms a fair old lesson in how to play 10 aside rugby.  The Phantoms struggled against a very well drilled side, and so they were headed for the plate completion the following day.

The new day saw a couple of player swaps, including the eldest Shumack for his younger brother.   The quarter final saw the Phantoms pitted against the Balmoral Hellfish.  An early lead by the Phantoms was later cut down by a strong kick chase from the Hellfish resulting in the Phantoms turning over the ball and the Hellfish winger scoring in the corner.  The Hellfish had the opportunity to square the match with a successful conversion, but they fortunately missed (or at least that’s what all players and spectators thought at the end of the game.) However, unbeknownst to all onlookers, the linesman had in fact awarded the conversion, so it was that the game progressed into extra time.  Still frothing from the conversion, the Phantoms came out firing, scoring an almost identical try to that of the Hellfish when Ben Cannon kicked through and put in a strong chase.  With extra time being golden point, no conversion was necessary and the Phantoms proceeded through to the semi final.  Next up were the Convicts, and the Woollahra based team was easily taken care off by the Phantoms, as the boys started to click into gear ahead of the final showdown with the Mosman Whales.

The Phantoms had suffered a couple of injuries along the way, and with the squad whittled down to 13, some players had no choice but to play out the full competition without a break (special mention to Tom Joffick).  From the outset, the Whales had the edge on the Phantoms, with a couple of their “new” players carving up the Phantoms defence.  Alas, it was not meant to be, and the Phantoms unfortunately lost the final with a consolation try to Tom Lee in the corner at least proving that the Phantoms would fight until the end.

At the culmination of play, and with their runners’ up prizes in hand, the Phantoms sat down to reminisce about the last two days’ play, share war stories of their various times at College and plan for a 3rd consecutive assault on the competition.


< Go back