Tel: +61 (2) 9565 7300
Mental Health and Isolation Inspiration
These are unprecedented times, both within College and around the world; everything has changed at a rapid pace. It may be difficult to process, to understand, and to look ahead to a time when ‘normality’, or life as we knew it, can return.
Many people are experiencing a wide range of emotions. Confusion, distress, sadness, anger, fear and panic are widespread as this continues to unfold. Prioritising your mental health is important.
The below resources have been compiled to share information like – developing better coping skills, keeping things in perspective and how to best spend your spare time.
There are unlimited free resources online for you to research further if you wish. If you find something that you find to be of particular use, for knowledge or inspiration, please share it and we can add it to this page.
It may be helpful to follow the below tips:
- Remember this is a temporary situation and that the best scientific and medical people are working daily on this
- Reframe ‘social distancing’ to ‘physical distancing’ – you are encouraged to socialise with friends and family, just in a different medium for now.
- Take a break from constantly reading news updates – once a day is sufficient to catch up on what has been happening
- Exercise and fresh air is still important – just do it within the government guidelines
- Plan and stick to a daily routine
- Importantly – we are all in this together!
Below we have compiled our #IsolationInspiration guide, with videos, blogs and tips to practice mindfulness, restore calm, and use as a distraction. Articles included below are intended to be helpful for information without the use of hysterical language.
Blogs & Articles
- Beyond Blue: Looking after your mental health during the Coronavirus outbreak
- New Access Central & Eastern Sydney – Developed by Beyond Blue
- Written by Senior Tutor Elly Howse: Addressing panic about COVID-19: what can we do to build solidarity?
- Business Unusual: Four Ways to Navigate Times of Uncertainty
- Dealing with Coronavirus social distancing when you have housemates
- Coronavirus anxiety: Recognising the impact a pandemic can have on your mental health
- Maintaining Health and Mindfulness
- Stress and Coping
- Personalities that thrive in isolation and what we can all learn from time alone
- The psychology of lockdown suggests sticking to rules gets harder the longer it continues
- Social distancing can make you lonely. Here’s how to stay connected.
- You can learn how to cope
- STREAM: Six simple steps for maintaining mental health during the Coronavirus pandemic
- How to Find Awe and Beauty Indoors
Videos and Podcasts
- The Isha Foundation (led by Sadh Guru) has some short relaxation and meditation videos:
- For Joy
- For Peace
- For Love
- The Chopra Well – Positive Mind Vs Quiet Mind
- The Chopra Well –Practical Steps and a Meditation
- The Fight Flight Freeze Response
- Calm down and release the amygdala
- Tips for Mindfulness during Coronavirus Isolation
- Remember to Breathe
- Talk and Meditation