The Chapel remains an important focal point for College activities, not only our Chapel services but also as a space to celebrate art and culture.
In 2014, alumni and friends of College gave $4,000 to support the renovation of the Chapel, removing the organ gallery to restore the Chapel to its original design. The College has also taken the opportunity to install a Davis & Laurie organ. The Davis & Laurie has two manuals, one with nine stops, the other (the swell) with seven. Its pedal has five stops. The organ pipes remain above the door to the Chapel and the organ’s console is now at the back of the Chapel.
The installation was completed in early 2015 and the organ was welcomed to College with a recital by the University of Sydney’s organist Amy Johansen at the Gala Concert in May.
The removal of the previous organ gallery has revealed the stained glass window ‘The shepherd and the fisherman’, designed in 1965 by the distinguished artist and architect, David Saunders (1928-1986). In 1965 David was teaching in the Power Department of Fine Art at the University of Sydney but later became Professor of Architecture at the University of Adelaide.